Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pet Peeve..... Grrrrrr

Pet peeve: People who show up at Mass like they’re going to the mall.

Really? The Absolute Existence, the One Who is responsible for there being something rather than nothing wants to be with you so ardently that He made Himself FOOD and you couldn’t put on a nice pair of pants? Or, ladies, a dress or a skirt?

Even really good Catholics are guilty of this. And I’m not talking about a couple of one off instances where you’re traveling, or whatever. Everyone has those times when life just happens and you end up at Mass in jeans or shorts. But I’m talking about those people who show up like that every Sunday. What kind of message does it send to kids when mom and dad dress nicer to go to work or out to eat then they do to go to Mass?

People complain how there is no reverence left in Catholic Churches and I wonder why they are surprised. If we don’t prepare ourselves outwardly how can we be prepared inwardly. That’s why we kneel –to show with our bodies reverence for what is happening in front of us. So putting on nice clothes for Mass shows outwardly that the place we are in is a holy place. A place of reverence. And what is happening there is something special.

OK… I’m done.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you on this. My last parish was known throughout the Archdiocese as the parish that exemplified lax attire, and it bothered me to no end.

    And I love your point of "What kind of message does it send to kids when mom and dad dress nicer to go to work or out to eat then they do to go to Mass?" When I would get the "who cares what they're wearing - God loves us for who we are" responses when I griped about flip-flops and short-shorts at Mass, I would point out that those same people would never considering dressing down like that for their prom or other social events. Why is outward appearance so important for those occasions, but we can't find the time to put on something nice for God once a week?

    Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with this pet peeve.

    ReplyDelete